What’s the best part of QuiltCon?
For me, it’s all the amazing people that I finally get to see in person! We spend so much time together in the virtual world, and I can wait to spend time together in the same physical space. I love exchanging buttons and/or stickers with everyone, and this year I want to capture the moment by going a bit further.
Inspiration for the Project
Have you seen antique signature quilts? Each person would make and sign a block to commemorate an occasion or give the recipient a momento to remember the community before a big move. I want to capture this sentiment without having each person contribute a full block to a project, so I will have everyone I talk to at QuiltCon sign a block that I will then turn into a mini quilt or cushion when I get back home.
In 2023 QuiltCon is being held in Atlanta, Georgia, so I created a foundation paper pieced version of the state to collect signatures. I am so excited to grab some archival fabric pens and have everyone sign away!
Personalize your own Souvenir too!
Would you like to join in the fun? The pattern I created is now available to purchase so you can make your own signature block! It’s even on sale now through Cyber Monday of 2022.
What you need to know about the pattern:
- Foundation Paper Pieced
- Three Sizes: 12-inch, 16-inch, and 18-inch
- Simplified piecing on the 12-inch block makes construction easier
- All templates are made for Letter Size (8-1/2″ x 11″) paper and can be printed in black and white
- Pattern-specific Foundation Paper Piecing instructions are not included, but a link to this video is included to give you general instructions on the technique.
It’s more than one souvenir
This state block can make a great addition to a larger project or stand on its own as a cushion, mini quilt, or tote bag. Here are a few ideas to get you started:
- Celebrate the time you or a loved one has spent in Georgia by making the block in your favorite colors. Add an appliquéd circle, heart, or star to mark where you live
- Create a pillow for a favorite student in the colors of their high school or college
- Is a friend moving to or from Georgia? Make a home warming gift using this block
- Add it to a T-shirt quilt for a Georgia high school or college grad