April One Monthly Goal

This month, I am so excited to be going to Paducah for the American Quilter’s Society Quilt Week.  My Mom and I have gone at least six times before, but this is the first time that we both have quilts exhibited, and it will be my first time attending the awards ceremony and preview night.  Since this is coming up in less than two weeks (how did that happen?), I am selecting a project I have to have finished prior to leaving!

The Central Ohio Modern Quilt Guild has our presentation of our color challenge quilts this month.  Each person drew two crayons from a bag and we had to make a quilted item using just those colors, tones/shades of that color, and one neutral.  I drew Carnation Pink and Cornflower Blue.Pattern Drafting

So far I have Drafted the pattern in AutoCad, dyed the fabrics in a gradient, and done the English Paper Piecing.  In the next week I  will need to add the borders then quilt and bind it.  Its a good thing its small!EPP on Challenge Quilt

 

 

Hour Basket Swap

This month one of my local quilt groups, The Columbus Modern Quilters, had a swap of one hour baskets, and I was eager to sign up.  The tutorial we used is by Hearts and Bees, and is available on Craftsy.  I had never made one before, but all it took was one practice basket, and I was hooked!

Hour Basket Exterior

Hour Basket Exterior

My partner listed Carolyn Friedlander as one of her favorite designers, so I thought it would be fun to make a basket entirely with her fabrics.  Flying geese patchwork made up the design on both sides of the basket.

Patchwork panels for an hour basket

Patchwork panels for an hour basket

For the interior, I used a strip of orange fabric that matches the arrows on the exterior of the basket, and finished it off with a wide grid that also coordinates with the basket exterior.

Hour Basket Interior

Hour Basket Interior

The swap was so much fun, and everyone loved the basket they received.  I was delighted that this basket was for me!  This is one of my favorite shades of blue, and it is just perfect for spring!

The Hour Basket that I received in the guild swap

The Hour Basket that I received in the guild swap

This also completes my One Monthly goal entry for March!

 

March One Monthly Goal

This month, one of my local quilt groups, The Columbus Modern Quilters, is having a swap of One Hour Baskets.  I had never made one, and I knew I wanted to incorporate some patchwork, so I made this basket for practice and to look at proportions.

Flying Geese Basket

The pattern is a free download by Hearts and Bees that is available on Craftsy, and it really does go together quickly.  I’m not sure how long it really takes to make one because I incorporated patchwork into the project instead of using single pieces of fabric.  The Annie’s Soft and Stable (not an affiliate link) I used for the project gives the basket a nice structure that feels like it will be very durable and maintain its structure for a long time.  I was pretty happy with the first basket, and I could hardly wait to start on the basket for the swap.  This swap basket is my “One Monthly Goal” for March.

My swap partner listed Carolyn Friedlander as one of her favorite designers, and I thought it would be fun to make a basket using all fabrics from her collections.  The flying geese in the first basket worked really well, so I decided to adapt the idea for the second basket.  With this configuration of fabrics, the geese have a more of an arrow look.

Swap Basket sides

The pieces are cut and the patchwork for the outer panels is finished, so hopefully I’ll have at least one easy finish this month!

 

 

February One Monthly Goal

My works in progress list is extensive, and I have been a bit undecided on what my one goal for this month should be.  Ultimately, practicality is winning out.  February is a short month that also will include a trip to QuiltCon, so the project I will complete this month is my Improv Round Robin quilt.Improv round robin process

This project is a generously sized lap quilt that I started in a class last October and quilted shortly thereafter.  To finish this one up, I just need to square it up and bind the edges.  Hopefully I can manage that!