Fly away with us this week aboard Quilt Concert Block 8, Flying Saucer!
This post is packed full of information, so keep reading for all of the details about the block and how to win this week’s giveaway!
(This post may include some affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link and choose to make a purchase, I receive a small percentage of the sale at no cost to you. These funds help keep this blog running and the Quilt Concert FREE for everyone!)
Block 8 Instructions
This week’s block is a twist on the traditional Flying Saucer Block which is based on block number 1300 from Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns.
The instructions are available to download for free through 11:59 pm Eastern on Thursday, August 10, 2023. If you miss the free download, you can purchase the Block 8 instructions alone for $2.50 through the end of the quilt-along. The full pattern is available for purchase at any time through my Etsy Shop.
How-To Video for Quilt Concert 2023 Block 8
The best part of Foundation Paper Piecing (FPP) is that once you learn a few basic techniques, you can construct any FPP design. To help you learn these techniques, we are offering instructional videos for each block of the quilt-along. This week I am sharing techniques and tips for constructing Quilt Concert 2023 Block 8.
Sponsor and Prize of the Week
We are thrilled to have Aurifil back as a sponsor for another weekly prize this year! They make my favorite thread, and this week’s winner gets a choice of which thread pack (and accompanying foundation paper piecing pattern) they receive!
Aurifil is an accomplished Italian company based in Milan, specializing in the production of 100% Cotton threads from the Mako region of Egypt. The threads have achieved worldwide success thanks to a dedicated collective of quilters, sewists, embroiderers, and textile artists who herald the thread for its versatility, its strength, and the fact that it produces virtually no lint.
One lucky winner anywhere in the world will receive a three-pack of 40wt thread from the 2021 color builder series! The winner will choose from one of the twelve boxes and will receive the thread along with a foundation paper piecing block pattern (that I designed!) inspired by the endangered species that inspired the color palette for that month.
How to Win!
All prizes will be drawn based on Instagram posts, so make sure you have a public account in order for us to see them!
- Follow both hosts on Instagram: Lissa and Cassandra
- Follow our weekly sponsor on Instagram: Aurifil
- Use the primary and weekly hashtags: #quiltconcert2023 and #quiltconcert2023block8
- Tell us in your post if you are a US or international resident. This week’s prize is available internationally.
- Post a photo of the Flying Saucer Block using a public Instagram account by 11:59 Eastern on Thursday, August 10, 2023 (if you don’t want to make your primary account public, you can always create a second, public account to use for this quilt along and other projects like this)
- Winners will be selected by random drawing and will be contacted via Instagram direct message by Saturday, August 12, 2023. The winner must claim their prize by responding to the message with their mailing address by 11:59 pm on Monday, August 14, 2023. If the prize is not claimed at that time, we will select an alternate winner.
(This giveaway is not sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram.)
Block 6 Winner
The winner of the Block 6 Hobbs Batting Week prize is @mizzoupatti. Patti will receive a queen size (90″x 108″) Heirloom Premium 100% Natural Cotton Batting with Scrim Binder. Congratulations, Patti, and a big thank you to Hobbs Batting for sponsoring this week’s prize!
For more information about Quill Concert 2023, check out the following posts:
- Quilt Concert 2023 Announcement
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Sponsors and Prizes
- Cutting Instructions
- Block 1: Pinwheel
- Block 2: Crossed Canoes
- Block 3: Small Business
- Block 4: Wheel of Fortune
- Block 5: Guiding Star
- Block 6: Perpetual Motion
- Block 7: Lucky Star
- Block 8: Flying Saucer
- Block 9: Diamonds in the Sky
- Assembly Instructions
- Quilting Suggestions
- Quilt Concert Curtain Call