It’s appropriate that the guiding star of Quilt Concert 2023: Twinkle Twinkle, is a block actually named Guiding Star. This week we are taking on the largest block of the quilt-along, but don’t worry- it’s no more complex than any other block in the quilt!
This post is packed full of information, so keep reading for all of the details about the block and how to win this week’s giveaway!
(This post may include some affiliate links. If you click on an affiliate link and choose to make a purchase, I receive a small percentage of the sale at no cost to you. These funds help keep this blog running and the Quilt Concert FREE for everyone!)
Block 5 Instructions
The Guiding Star block is based on block number 1781 from Barbara Brackman’s Encyclopedia of Pieced Quilt Patterns.
The instructions are available to download for free through 11:59 pm Eastern on Thursday, July 20, 2023. If you miss the free download, you can purchase the Block 5 instructions alone for $2.50 through the end of the quilt-along. The full pattern is available for purchase at any time hrough my Etsy Shop.
How-To Video for Quilt Concert 2023 Block 5
The best part of Foundation Paper Piecing (FPP) is that once you learn a few basic techniques, you can construct any FPP design. To help you learn these techniques, we are offering instructional videos for each block of the quilt-along. This week Lissa is sharing techniques and tips for constructing Quilt Concert 2023 Block 5.
Sponsor and Prize of the Week
We are thrilled to have a New-to-Quilt-Concert sponsor for this week, but there is a good chance you have used their products before: Schmetz Needles! They are providing this week’s lucky winner with an awesome prize package!
Welcome to SCHMETZneedles.com. We supply the full range of SCHMETZ Home Sewing, Industrial Needles and Sewing Notions to the sewing enthusiast. Internationally known as the finest sewing machine needle manufacturer in the world, SCHMETZ offers a choice of high quality sewing machine needles that can result in high quality, smooth, even stitches in your work. With SCHMETZ, you have options!https://www.schmetzneedles.com
How to Win!
All prizes will be drawn based on Instagram posts, so make sure you have a public account in order for us to see them!
- Follow both hosts on Instagram: Lissa and Cassandra
- Follow our weekly sponsor on Instagram: Schmetz Needles
- Use the primary and weekly hashtags: #quiltconcert2023 and #quiltconcert2023block5
- Tell us in your post if you are a US or international resident. This week’s prize is available to residents of the US and Canada, but we have international prizes coming up in future weeks!
- Post a photo of the Guiding Star Block using a public Instagram account by 11:59 Eastern on Thursday, July 20, 2023 (if you don’t want to make your primary account public, you can always create a second, public account to use for this quilt along and other projects like this)
- Winners will be selected by random drawing and will be contacted via Instagram direct message by Saturday, July 22, 2023. The winner must claim their prize by responding to the message with their mailing address by 11:59 pm on Monday, July 24, 2023. If the prize is not claimed at that time, we will select an alternate winner.
(This giveaway is not sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram.)
Block 3 Winner
Congratulations to @natalies_whim, the winner of the $50 gift card to Hancock’s of Paducah. I hope Natalie enjoys her shopping spree and a big thank you to Hancock’s of Paducah for sponsoring this week’s prize!
For more information about Quilt Concert 2023, check out the following posts:
- Quilt Concert 2023 Announcement
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Sponsors and Prizes
- Cutting Instructions
- Block 1: Pinwheel
- Block 2: Crossed Canoes
- Block 3: Small Business
- Block 4: Wheel of Fortune
- Block 5: Guiding Star
- Block 6: Perpetual Motion
- Block 7: Lucky Star
- Block 8: Flying Saucer
- Block 9: Diamonds in the Sky
- Assembly Instructions
- Quilting Suggestions
- Quilt Concert Curtain Call